Thursday, January 5, 2012

Using up leftovers.

I love when we eat up the leftovers and I don't have to throw food out. Back in the day when we used to eat out more we used to throw so much food out and I always felt awful, like it was such a waste. Sometimes though you get sick o eating the same thing, right? Well night before last I made too many mashed potatoes, which you would think was kind of an oxymoron, especially with my family but it happened. I didn't want to have mashed potatoes two nights in a row so I thought I would make some potato pancakes. I had never made them before, I faintly remember my mom making them a couple times when I was a kid but that was it. I texted my friend Lori for her family's recipe, she's Jewish I figured I would get a leg up...turns out the use shredded potatoes, not mashed. I figured I would just wing it and make it up as I went along.
So here you go-
I used about ^^^ that much mashed potatoes...(how is that for winging it?) probably two cups of shredded cheese, two green onions, very finely chopped, two cloves of garlic, also very finely chopped and one egg (beaten). I mixed all of the ingredients and then added some salt and pepper.
I thought between the egg and the cheese I had enough binding ingredients, I guess I did, but it turns out mashed potatoes are VERY fragile.
This was the first batch that I cooked in 2 tablespoons of butter...the butter burned too quickly so I switched it up before the next batch, took them out, cleaned the pan and started again with 2 TBSP. of vegetable oil.
I didn't take another picture of them cooking though.
I had mine with a little dollop of sour cream, they were real yummy. Gianna and Chris loved them, Gianna said it's her new favorite. For some reason Allison wasn't a big fan. If you make them, come back and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, fried potato goodness! You go girl!

    Happy New Year!
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete